CSS Internship Program
The Center for Security Studies (CSS) offers a total of 4 internships each year to graduate and undergraduate students in their final year. The exact dates for the application window for the 2018 internship will be announced in late 2017.
CSS internships are only available during summer holidays and last six weeks. Interns will be invited between mid May and early October, depending on the applicant's semester holidays and the availability of internships at the Center. The place of work will be the CSS offices in Zurich. All interns will be provided with office space and facilities as appropriate for their work.
Applicants choosing to intern with the CSS are expected to play an active role in the work of the Center by:
- Contributing to the CSS’s existing research projects; interns will be allocated to a project based on their experience and the needs of the CSS
- Assisting senior researchers with their research, editorial, and networking activities
- Co-authoring articles with CSS researchers.
Graduate students or undergraduate students in their final year with the following skills:
- Excellent English
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- The ability to read and analyze content quickly and objectively
- A detailed knowledge of current affairs
- A strong work ethic and the ability to learn quickly
- Initiative and a willingness to participate in, and contribute to, the activities of the CSS.
Please note that due to Swiss labor laws only EU 27 / EFTA nationals (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom) may apply for an internship.
The CSS recommends that all applicants apply for a scholarship before coming to Zurich. Aside from providing a short list of relevant links, the CSS cannot assist in finding accommodation. Interns should therefore make the necessary arrangements prior to arriving in Zurich. The CSS pays a stipend upon completion of the internship.
If you would like to apply for a CSS internship, please submit your complete online application including the following:
- Application letter: a one page statement of purpose outlining your research interests and why you would like to work at the CSS
- Resume (max. 2 pages)
- Copies of academic transcripts and/or certificates
- A writing sample in English, e.g. a university paper, an article
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably academic, should be sent directly by the refrees to the CSS Institute Manager by e-mail or regular mail:
Center for Security Studies (CSS)
Haldeneggsteig 4, IFW
- The CSS accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents or illness during the internship. All applicants should therefore make the necessary health insurance arrangements prior to arriving in Zurich.
- The CSS accepts no responsibility for the loss of, or damage to, any personal items during the internship. Again, applicants should make the necessary insurance arrangements prior to beginning their placement.
- All interns will abide by CSS Rules and Regulations and will conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times. Failure to do so will result in the termination of the internship. Both the CSS and ISN reserve the right to terminate the internship with immediate effect.
- All interns will keep confidential any and all unpublished information made available during the course of the internship.
- Successful candidates must provide written notice in case of illness or other unavoidable circumstances that might prevent them from completing their internship.